Monday 3 March 2008

Is Facebook on the wane?

IT was interesting to see the numbers using Facebook declined in January by 400,000.

Last year almost everyone I knew was talking about Facebook and across the country there were 8.9 million users.

Through the site you can make touch with friends you had lost touch with. You can also tell friends of your current thoughts and activities, although I have never done that.

I have to admit that a friend helped me sign up to the site, and I was glad I had been introduced to it. When I first signed up I would briefly log on every other day, and check my emails for new notifications from Facebook. Now I still log onto to it, but maybe not as often.

As more people signed up to the site we were warned of the security risks of putting too much personal information on Facebook. The media carried stories of people who had been the victims of fraud.

Apparently the other popular networking site - MySpace has also seen a drop in its numbers by 5%.

Will these two networking sites go the same way as Friends Reunited? Five or ten years ago that was the latest craze, and that site saw a huge increase in its numbers. However now I don’t know anyone who uses this site, although the site is still in operation.

Experts have said the recent decline in numbers does not spell the end of Facebook.
I think Facebook is here to stay and whoever thought of the idea must be very wealthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice point about friends reunited, I hardly ever go on it now. Maybe they are too complacent at facebook -- so take the money and run would be my advice