Monday 31 August 2009

Live Forever

SO Oasis have split, which is sad.

I can remember very vividly first hearing Live Forever by Oasis on the radio and being blown away by their sound.

This is the first Oasis’ single I can recall and I still think it is their best.

The band split after Noel left and he said on the internet, “the lack of support from my management and bandmates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new.”

In the 1990s Oasis and Blur were two of the biggest bands on the scene and their music dominated the charts.

I like them both, but I think Oasis are better as their sound is grittier and seemed to hit a chord with me.

When the bands released singles on the same day, I preferred Oasis’s Roll With It to Blur’s Country House.

In 2001 or 2002, I can’t remember now, I had the good fortune to see an Oasis’ gig in Newcastle. They were brilliant. As soon as they started to play you were transfixed and as they continued the quality of their output did not diminish.

Their first album – Definitely Maybe – is probably their finest. I also like their album of b sides – songs like Acquiesce and Half The World Away rank among their best.

Congratulations on Radio 2 for having a Beatles’ weekend. Even though the songs are 40 years old, they are still relevant today.

No comments: