Sunday 18 September 2011

Tom Lewis turns professional and joins up with IMG

TOM Lewis, who was part of the winning GB&I Walker Cup team and winner of the Silver Medal at this year’s Open Championship has turned pro.

Lewis was first seen on the world stage at this year’s Open, where he scored a 65 in the first round, which gave him the lead at the end of Thursday with Thomas Bjorn. He had qualified through Local Final Qualifying at Rye.

His round was the lowest by an amateur in the history of The Open Championship. He was also the first amateur since Michael Bonallack to lead The Open. Bonallack had led in 1968.

Lewis was placed 30th and took the Silver Medal for being the best finished amateur.

The golfer has had a good amateur career and had wins at the 2009 Boys Amateur Championship and the 2011 St Andrews Links Trophy.

Lewis will make his professional debut at the Austrian Golf Open and will also play in the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship.

Tom explained: “I am very excited to get out there and see how I measure up. The Open Championship was fantastic for me and I learnt a lot from the occasion. All the experiences gleaned from my amateur career, along with the help and support I have received from the R&A, EGU and my family and friends, will hopefully stand me in good stead as I try to earn my European Tour card for next year.

“I am very grateful to the tournament promoters who have generously offered me invitations, particularly the Austrian Golf Open presented by Lyoness and the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship. I hope I will perform at my best to thank them for the opportunity.”

He has signed with International Marketing Group (IMG).

No comments: