Friday 6 June 2008

The mint with the hole

DID you know that the Polo mint is celebrating its 60th birthday this year?

Polo mints were introduced to the British public in 1948 and were made by Rowntree.

The mint was a novelty in the 40s and was a unique shape for confectionary.

Nestle now own the product and it is the fastest-selling mint. This country is supposed to eat five million of them, or 150 a second.

I quite like Polo mints, but the problem is when I buy a packet I tend to eat one after the other.

There used to be fruit Polo mints too, although I am not sure if theses are still made?

Meanwhile, it was the Monaco Grand Prix recently. This is the one race in the F1 GP season that catches my attention. And I try and catch some of it on television.

It is something to do with Monaco itself. There is nowhere else quite like this place, which is on the Mediterranean Coast.

The event also always attracts the rich and famous. It is held at the same time as the Cannes Film Festival, so many of the film stars make the short journey from Cannes to Monaco to be seen at the race.

Many people criticise the GP and say it is a procession, because there is no overtaking.

But the fact it is held on a street circuit makes it harder for the drivers, as there is less margin for error, so I think it is more exciting to watch. This is the one race I would like to go to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No more fruit polos?! An outrage, why wasn't I told

Anonymous said...

There's definitely still fruit polos, I saw them in a shop in Bolton the other day, along with spearmint ones and sugar free ones. Possibly even the extra strong ones still too...mmm polos.